There is nothing more frustrating than seeing your people quibble, argue, and back bite over petty issues. May be you have tried pep talks, outdoor and indoor team games etc.
So work it must be. The cause of lack of teamwork. The other cause might be the values. Run these checks:
1. Do you have your project goals well defined? Are there any formal project plans. If yes, task the team to improve the plans for risk mitigation.
2. If your team is running processes (repetitive work cycles), check if they work according a defined work flow. Task the team to improve process performance. Caution: this may involve process redesign. Be ready.
3. Check if people, their tasks, skills and attitudes all match. Act to close gaps if any. It may involve training, job rotation, counseling etc.
4. Check your reward systems. Are they fair? Are they skewed more towards individual performances at the cost of others?
5. Check if straight talk is encouraged. Best way to check it is to find out how many times people come to you and disagree with you or criticize you.
Try the above. Throw good work at your people. Lead. You will be surprised.
I help people and businesses in developing themselves through Regenerative Leadership coaching. See Learning Leadership for web based programs. You can undergo self learning program in my book Lead to Regenerate. Do keep in touch with me either here, or on Google+ , onTwitter, or through my blog Regenerate!
I consult in Branding, Communications, and User Experience Design.